In the realm of oral health challenges, cavities often take the spotlight.
Addressing cavities promptly not only relieves discomfort but also safeguards teeth from further deterioration.
A trusted remedy for cavities and even chipped teeth is dental fillings.
But just how enduring are tooth fillings, and when should they be replaced?
In this article, we explore the lifespan of dental fillings and offer essential care advice.
Discovering the Durability of Dental Fillings
On average, dental fillings last about 10 years.
Nonetheless, filling material plays a role in the lifespan.
In times past, dentists leaned towards silver and gold for their robustness. Here’s a closer examination based on the materials utilized:
- Gold fillings last 15 to 30 years
- Silver fillings last 10 to 15 years
- Resin fillings only last 5 to 7 years, but they do look very natural
- Ceramic fillings last over 15 years, but are more expensive
Strategies for Extending the Lifespan of Dental Fillings
Material impacts the lifespan of dental fillings, but several other factors come into play. Even so, you can take steps to increase their longevity. Implement the following filling care tips:
- Brush your teeth twice a day and floss each day to keep your teeth bacteria and plaque-free
- Use a night mouth guard to protect your teeth and filling if your grind your teeth at night
- During sports or other high-impact activities, wear a dental mouthguard
- Visit the dentist regularly for your professional dental cleanings and exams
Dental Fillings at Benton Family Dental Care in Grand Rapids, MI:
For enduring dental fillings and expert dental guidance, turn to Benton Family Dental Care. We offer comprehensive dental services, including tooth fillings in Grand Rapids you can count on. Our dental clinic in Grand Rapids does everything we can to help you make informed decisions about fillings and oral health care. We are committed to helping you maximize the lifespan of your dental fillings.
Embark on the path to enduring dental health by booking your tooth filling appointment in Grand Rapids today.